The Corn Monument
The Corn Monument is prominently located at Memorial Park along Highway 212. Numerous visitors stop to have their picture taken with the colorful statue. It was erected in the summer of 1973 to commemorate the fact that modern hybrid seed corn production began in Olivia and that Olivia is the “Corn Capital of the Midwest.” Today, the city is home to nine seed research companies, two world leading contract seed production companies, an edible bean plant, the world’s largest seed corn broker, and an agricultural environmental solutions company. To recognize Olivia’s leadership in agricultural innovation, Minnesota Senate Resolution 105 (2004) officially designated Olivia the “Corn Capital of the World.”
Historic Renville County Court House
The Renville County Courthouse, built in 1902, is on the National Register of Historic Places. It is architecturally significant as one of Minnesota’s finest Victorian monumental buildings. The newly renovated building, with its copper domes, is worth seeing.
St. Aloysius Catholic Church
This 1925 building is an interpretation of the Italian Romanesque style with a tall arched area in front and a separate campanile at the side. The bell and chimes in the tall tower send soothing sounds across the community throughout the day.
Faith United Methodist Church
This 1904 building is a shingle style version of the Romanesque style with Craftsman style detailing.
For more information, contact
Renville County Historical Society
Morton, MN 56270
Olivia Street Map
Click to access a pdf file with some of Olivia’s noteworthy locations, conveniently numbered for a “windshield tour” of the city.