Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Elections - City of Olivia, MN


Home » Elections

The City Clerk is responsible for conducting the local, state and federal elections held within the city limits of Olivia.

where do i vote?

All residents living within the City limits of Olivia vote at the Olivia Public Library, 405 10th Street South, in Olivia.

Elections day registration

Voter Registration

If you are not registered to vote or need to update your registration information, you may do so at the polling on Election Day.  You will be required to provide proof of residency, when registering on Election Day.  You can check the Secretary of State’s website to see if you are registered at your current address at  Registrations (new or change in address or name) can take place prior to Election Day by completing a registration card and mailing it to the Renville County Auditor-Treasurer at 500 E DePue Ave. Ste 202, Olivia, MN 56277 or leaving it off at their office in the Renville County Court House.  Registration forms are available at the Secretary of State’s website.

If you did not register before Election Day, use any of the following proof of residence options to register at your polling place.

Option 1: ID with Current Name and Address
Accepted IDs:

  • Valid Minnesota driver’s license, Minnesota learner’s permit, Minnesota ID card—or a receipt for any of these
  • Tribal ID card with your name, address, photo and signature.

Option 2: Photo ID Plus a Document with Current Name and Address
The ID can be expired, and the document can also be shown electronically on a device (smartphone, etc.)

Accepted Photo IDs

Driver’s license, state ID or learner’s permit issued by any state
U.S. Passport
U.S. Military or Veteran IDTribal ID with the name, signature and photo
Minnesota university, college or technical college ID
Minnesota high school ID

Accepted Documents (Can be shown on electronic device)

Bill, account or start-of-service statement due or dated within 30 days of election for:
Phone (landline, cell, VOIP, etc.)
TV (cable, satellite, etc.)
Internet servicesSolid waste, sewer, electric, gas or water
Banking or credit cardRent or mortgage
Residential lease or rent agreement valid through Election Day
Current student fee statement

Option 3: Registered Voter Who Can Confirm Your Name and Address
A registered voter from your precinct can go with you to the polling place to sign an oath confirming your address.  This is known as ‘vouching’.  A registered voter can vouch for up to eight voters.  You cannot vouch for others if someone vouched for you.

Option 4: College Student ID—If a Student Housing List Was Provided
College students can use a student photo ID card if their college provided a student housing list to election officials.

Option 5: Valid Registration in the Same Precinct
If you are registered in the precint but changed names or moved within the same precinct, you only need to tell the election judge your previous name or address.

Option 6: Notice of Late Registration
If you registered to vote within 20 days of election, you may get a Notice of Late Registration in the mail.  Bring it with you and use it as your proof of residence to register.

Option 7: Staff Person of a Residential Facility
If you live in a residential facility, a facility staff person can go with you to the polling place to confirm your address.  This is known as ‘vouching’.  A staff person can vouch for all elegible voters living in the facility.

The staff person must prove their employment at the facility.  There are several ways to do this, including by showing an employee badge.

curbside voting

Curbside voting is available for anyone who cannot enter the polling place for any reason, including concerns for their health. Curbside voting allows a voter to register to vote and vote without leaving their vehicle.

If you choose curbside voting, two election judges will bring out a ballot to your vehicle. If you need to register or update your registration, they will bring you an application as well. When you are finished voting, election judges will bring your ballot inside for you and put it in the ballot box.

absentee voting

You may find that you are unable to get to your polling place location on Election Day but still want to vote in an election. You can vote early with an absentee ballot at your local election office.


You can request, receive and cast an absentee ballot in one visit at the Renville County Auditor-Treasurer's Office located at 500 East DePue Avenue, Suite 202, in Olivia.

If you are not registered to vote, you will need to complete a voter registration form and show proof of residence at the elections office. Contact the Renville County Auditor-Treasurer for more information at 320-523-2071.

need help?

Call the Minnesota Secretary of State at 1-877-600 VOTE (8683) or contact the Renville County Election Office at 320-523-2071.

further questions

More specific information can be found at the Secretary of State’s Office website at  or call City Hall at 320-523-2361

Scroll to Top