Susie Lothert, Economic Development Director
1009 W. Lincoln Ave.
Olivia, MN 56277
EDA Mission Statement: To promote, preserve and expand the economy of Olivia and Renville County through quality, affordable housing and creating new jobs in value added agriculture, manufacturing, the service industry and retail by retention and expansion.
Olivia EDA Goals
Improve the community as a retail and service center by expanding the commercial base, and promote redevelopment activities in the central business district and along Highway 212.
- Identify specific redevelopment projects to reduce substandard building conditions.
- Encourage improvements to area businesses through the EDA Revolving Loan Program.
- Identify and pursue complimentary businesses for the community.
Effectively market and promote the community as a place to do business and live.
- Continue community wide marketing campaign “Grow With Us” in cooperation with the Chamber.
- Use the Olivia web site and web sites for greater visibility.
- Actively participate in the planning and development of the Corn Capital Trust.
- Work with the Health Care delivery systems to promote Olivia as a health care destination.
Create quality value-added employment opportunities in agricultural, industrial and retail/service businesses.
- Maintain an inventory of available commercial/industrial buildings and sites. Promptly respond to business and developer inquiries about available sites and other pertinent information.
- Look for opportunities for locally owned companies to expand. Visit with businesses about ancillary services provided by outside vendors that could be more economically served in Olivia.
- Work with business leaders on Olivia’s business and cultural amenities and ask about potential business they would like to see in Olivia.
- Encourage and support local entrepreneurs by providing business planning and financial resources.
- Continue to focus on value added agricultural businesses including livestock.
Promote the development of quality, affordable housing in order to serve the needs of the community.
- Encourage the down payment/closing cost assistance program through the local banks and realtors.
- Work with Renville County HRA/EDA on housing for the low to moderate income households.
- Acquire and develop buildable lots to promote diversified housing stock. (i.e. duplex/single level housing plus market rate and entry level housing.)
- Work with area housing agencies to maintain a variety of owner occupied housing options.
- Find funding alternatives for apartment and mobile home rehabilitation.
Enhance communication systems for the business and residential users.
- Work with Renville Connect and TNT in promoting the needs for high-speed Internet access and enhanced telecommunications.
- Understand the needs and concerns of various providers
- Work with other groups promoting needs and consequences to the State Legislature and Governors office
- Visit and survey area businesses on the need for better communications (i.e. internet, phone and cable).